Re: Mailing List and Newsgruops

In article <[🔎] 20020505153645.A10407@grante.dsl.visi.com>,
Grant Edwards  <grante@visi.com> wrote:
>I don't know how "odd" it is, but I have confirmed that it
>doesn't used the moderation mechanism.  It uses an NNTP client
>program that harvests articles and sends them to the mailing
>list (discarding articles that originated from the mailing list).

Yes. Systems like this look reliable, but on almost every list
I subscribe to one of these gateways get problems and start
re-posting (and re-posting etc) articles back to the list,
or they start regurgitating weeks-old articles a few times
a year.

No matter how careful you are, it can go wrong, so it *will*
go wrong. Murphy and all that ..

>Using the moderated group mechanism is definitly not "how
>everybody else does bidirectional gateways too".

True. It's how everybody with a bit of common sense and a
few years of experience does it.

Mike.