Re: Mailing List and Newsgruops

On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 01:28:55PM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 20020505171605.GA25747@arborlon.riva.ucam.org>, Colin Watson wrote:
> > On Sun, May 05, 2002 at 11:38:36AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:
> >> I'm suggesting a moderated group where postings that would
> >> normally go to the "moderator" directly to the mailing list.
> >> The gateway is still unidirectional: mail->news.
> >
> > Yup, that's how everybody else does bidirectional gateways too.
>
> Really?  The other group I read that has an e-mail gateway
> doesn't seem to be set up that way.  I (and anybody else) can
> post directly to the group.  There are no "Approved:" headers.
> AFAICT, it is not a moderated group.  However they set up the
> news<->email gateway, it does not look like it uses the
> mechanism I described.

That's very odd then. Almost sounds like something that was originally a
newsgroup and then had a mail gateway retrofitted to it ... I certainly
don't think it's usual for mailing lists that get gated to news, like
this case. Creating two different canonical sources of articles is
likely to cause confusion.

(I think it would be a good idea for debian-user shadow newsgroups to be
moderated anyway, if nothing else so that they can point to a mailbot
that tells people they should be mailing articles to the mailing list.
However, I'm not even sure if the person who would handle that reads
this list.)