Re: Mailing List and Newsgruops

On Mon, May 06, 2002 at 11:19:44AM -0500, Grant Edwards wrote:
| Right.  But I was proposing that the muc.* list be moderated.
| When somebody "posts" to a moderated group,
| the articled doesn't get posted directly to the newsgroup.  The
| article is e-mailed to a "moderator".

What happens when "somebody" is the existing mail->news gateway?

| My proposal was that the "moderator" be the mailing list.

That's your news->mail bot.  It's a bot because it isn't a person, and
it's news->mail because you proposed using your newsreader to send the
message via NNTP and have it gatewayed to SMTP.

| Thus, the new article is e-mailed to the mailing list (exactly
| as articles are now), which then mirrors it onto the newsgroup
| (exactly as it does now).

This is a description of a bidirectional news-mail gateway.

| There would be no news->mail gateway (exactly as there is none now).
| There is only a mail->news gateway (exactly as there is now).

Your psuedo moderator is the news->mail gateway.

| I don't see how there is a possibility of a loop.

You have automated processes for converting mail into news and vice
versa.  How ever you want to describe/define it in terms of
moderators, etc, it is still a bidirectional gateway.

| If there _is_ danger of a loop, it must already be there, since I'm
| not proposing that the gateway functionaly be changed in any way.

You have proposed it to be changed or else there would be no proposal
:-).  You have proposed to automatically take new newsgroup postings
and send them to the mailing list.

| When I suggested making the group moderated and mailing
| "posted" articles to the list, I was told that was a bad idea
| because of the danger of loops.  However, I'm still waiting for
| somebody to explain how such a loop could happen.

We've explained how loops occur many times.  Your fake moderator is
where the loop begins (if the balance isn't kept).

| Perhaps my idea wouldn't work.  I'd be happy to listen to an
| reasons why it wouldn't, but so far all people seem to do be
| doing is knocking down sraw men.

As Colin said, it is _possible_ to set up a properly functioning
bidirectional gateway (whether or not moderation plays a part is
irrelevant), but that it is tricky and a "minor" slip-up can cause a
loop.

You're welcome to try and set it up, as long as you don't flood the
maillist with loops :-).

-D

--

"Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files. This provides more
security than wiping with decimal values." -- Norton SystemWorks 2002 Manual