Re: My ultimate linux box

On  0, Vineet Kumar <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net> wrote:
> * Michael Kahle (kahlemt@whoha.org) [020505 20:14]:
> > Here are the specs:
> > Case: Enlight Full Tower (EN-89020SX34)
> > Power Supply: Enermax 550W
> > Mainboard: Tyan Tiger MPX
> > Processor: 2x Athlon MP1800's
> > Ram: Crucial 1.5GB DDR PC2100 Registered
> > Monitor: Viewsonic P255f
> > Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
> > Videocard: ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV 128 DDR
> > CDROM: Plextor UltraPlex Wide or Some SCSI DVD player???
> > CD-RW: Plextor Plexwriter 12/10/32s
> > Backup: I want a DDS-3 or DDS-4 tape solution... sugestions?
> > RAID: Compaq 5304 128 Raid controller
> > SCSI: Adaptec 2940W Controller
> > Disks: 5 Compaq 10k Ultra 3 SCSI
> > Drive Cage: Enlight EN-8720 Ultra 160 SCA Backplane
> > Floppy: Teac
> > Cooling: Any ideas?
> >
> > I would like to add 2 more Ultra SCSI-3 Disks for a RAID 0 config for the OS
> > Any sugestions for where the system should be on the disks?  I.e. I am going
> > to have the 5 Compaq disks setup in a RAID 5 array and then the OS mirrored.
> > Should I have a seperate disk for swap?
>
> What are you going to be using this machine for? This sounds like
> overoveroveroverkill for a desktop machine (and inappropriate for a
> server...). Save yourself a lot of money and just get IDE drives and use
> software RAID, if you really want it. Then again, I don't know anything
> about your price constraints and requirements for the machine. My first
> instinct is that you could scale all of it back a bit, still be very
> happy with your machine's performance, and feed a small country with the
> money you'd save =)

This is my impresseion also.  In particular I wonder what use you
could have for RAID 5, SCSI, tape backup, a Sound Blaster Audigy
Platinum and an ATI All-in-Wonder on the same box.  The first three
are definite server-ware, while the last two (and maybe the DVD
player) sound like you are building a home entertainment system.  I
once felt as though building a system of this order would make me the
happiest man on earth.  I never got around to it, but still feel
fairly happy with my lot.

If you want a server, ditch the sound, video and DVD.  And maybe the
flashy monitor - games don't go on a server.

If you want a flashy games box, ditch the SCSI, the RAID, the water
cooling, the backup, one of the processors, two thirds of the RAM and
about half the rated power of your power supply.

Either way you should be able to get a life and take some nice girl
out to dinner on what's left over.  I don't recommend *telling* her
it's the left-overs from your PC, though...

Tom
--
Tom Cook

Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then
beat you with experience.

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au