Re: My ultimate linux box

On Mon, 2002-05-06 at 09:15, Tom Cook wrote:
> On  0, Vineet Kumar <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net> wrote:
> > * Michael Kahle (kahlemt@whoha.org) [020505 20:14]:
> > > Here are the specs:
> > > Case: Enlight Full Tower (EN-89020SX34)
> > > Power Supply: Enermax 550W
> > > Mainboard: Tyan Tiger MPX
> > > Processor: 2x Athlon MP1800's
> > > Ram: Crucial 1.5GB DDR PC2100 Registered
> > > Monitor: Viewsonic P255f
> > > Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
> > > Videocard: ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV 128 DDR
> > > CDROM: Plextor UltraPlex Wide or Some SCSI DVD player???
> > > CD-RW: Plextor Plexwriter 12/10/32s
> > > Backup: I want a DDS-3 or DDS-4 tape solution... sugestions?
> > > RAID: Compaq 5304 128 Raid controller
> > > SCSI: Adaptec 2940W Controller
> > > Disks: 5 Compaq 10k Ultra 3 SCSI
> > > Drive Cage: Enlight EN-8720 Ultra 160 SCA Backplane
> > > Floppy: Teac
> > > Cooling: Any ideas?

> This is my impresseion also.  In particular I wonder what use you
> could have for RAID 5, SCSI, tape backup, a Sound Blaster Audigy
> Platinum and an ATI All-in-Wonder on the same box.  The first three
> are definite server-ware, while the last two (and maybe the DVD
> player) sound like you are building a home entertainment system.  I
> once felt as though building a system of this order would make me the
> happiest man on earth.  I never got around to it, but still feel
> fairly happy with my lot.
>
> If you want a server, ditch the sound, video and DVD.  And maybe the
> flashy monitor - games don't go on a server.
>
> If you want a flashy games box, ditch the SCSI, the RAID, the water
> cooling, the backup, one of the processors, two thirds of the RAM and
> about half the rated power of your power supply.

Actually, I'm not sure that a 550W PSU has enough grunt to drive all
that kit - think 5 x SCSI disks, 2 X IDE devices, 2 X processors, Radeon
8500... That's a lotta thirsty lectrics. Don't forget the extra cooling
he'd need for the disks.

Another thing would be the noise - that's gonna be one loud box. With
all them disks (10K RPM!) it'd be unbearable to have under your desk.

All in all, it's a nice-on-paper setup, but you'd soon get sick of it in
real life. If you were mad keen to spend that kind of money, I'd wander
off to Dell or something and get something with three years warranty on
it.

Take care,

Peter.
--