Re: My ultimate linux box

* Michael Kahle (kahlemt@whoha.org) [020505 20:14]:
> Here are the specs:
> Case: Enlight Full Tower (EN-89020SX34)
> Power Supply: Enermax 550W
> Mainboard: Tyan Tiger MPX
> Processor: 2x Athlon MP1800's
> Ram: Crucial 1.5GB DDR PC2100 Registered
> Monitor: Viewsonic P255f
> Soundcard: Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
> Videocard: ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 8500DV 128 DDR
> CDROM: Plextor UltraPlex Wide or Some SCSI DVD player???
> CD-RW: Plextor Plexwriter 12/10/32s
> Backup: I want a DDS-3 or DDS-4 tape solution... sugestions?
> RAID: Compaq 5304 128 Raid controller
> SCSI: Adaptec 2940W Controller
> Disks: 5 Compaq 10k Ultra 3 SCSI
> Drive Cage: Enlight EN-8720 Ultra 160 SCA Backplane
> Floppy: Teac
> Cooling: Any ideas?
>
> I would like to add 2 more Ultra SCSI-3 Disks for a RAID 0 config for the OS
> Any sugestions for where the system should be on the disks?  I.e. I am going
> to have the 5 Compaq disks setup in a RAID 5 array and then the OS mirrored.
> Should I have a seperate disk for swap?

What are you going to be using this machine for? This sounds like
overoveroveroverkill for a desktop machine (and inappropriate for a
server...). Save yourself a lot of money and just get IDE drives and use
software RAID, if you really want it. Then again, I don't know anything
about your price constraints and requirements for the machine. My first
instinct is that you could scale all of it back a bit, still be very
happy with your machine's performance, and feed a small country with the
money you'd save =)

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume.shtml