Re: My ultimate linux box

Tom,

> This is my impresseion also.  In particular I wonder what use you
> could have for RAID 5, SCSI, tape backup, a Sound Blaster Audigy
> Platinum and an ATI All-in-Wonder on the same box.  The first three
> are definite server-ware, while the last two (and maybe the DVD
> player) sound like you are building a home entertainment system.  I
> once felt as though building a system of this order would make me the
> happiest man on earth.  I never got around to it, but still feel
> fairly happy with my lot.

I know it's overkill.  But it will make a fine server, and a fine
entertainment box as well. :)  And it's fun.

> If you want a server, ditch the sound, video and DVD.  And maybe the
> flashy monitor - games don't go on a server.
>
> If you want a flashy games box, ditch the SCSI, the RAID, the water
> cooling, the backup, one of the processors, two thirds of the RAM and
> about half the rated power of your power supply.

I dont want a server, I don't want a game box.  I want a workstation that I
can run X at insane resolutions wile playing mp3s.  I want fast compiles.  I
want my "Ultimate Linux Box".  What I am concerned about here is not how
much money can I save, but will the components I have selected be well
supported under linux.

> Either way you should be able to get a life and take some nice girl
> out to dinner on what's left over.  I don't recommend *telling* her
> it's the left-overs from your PC, though...

Shhhh, don't tell me wife that!

> Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level and then
> beat you with experience.

This is the most hilarious sig I have ever seen! :)