Re: leafnode & kupdated

On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 12:30:10PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 11:11:12AM -0400, bounce-debian-user=RossBoylan=stanfordalumni.org@lists.debian.org wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 26, 2002 at 12:47:53AM -0700, Paul 'Baloo' Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Update:
> > Anyways - after some rest I approached the problem with a little more
> > clarity. =) I grep'd for leafnode and surprise surprise, Debian moves
> > the config to a different location. On two other Linux's I've used,
> > leafnode config file is stored in /usr/share/leafnode, on Deb it's
> > /etc/news/leafnode. I'm not saying it's wrong, just different. I'm sure
> > that dpkg told me this, but I must admit that the messages sometimes
> > scroll by quite fast on a small term.
> >
> > So now I know why Deb wasn't seeing the proper config file. Hopefully
> > this might help others out in the future.
> >

> Debian tries to keep all configuration info under /etc/.  I find this
> makes life easy.  For your reference, if you want to find all the
> files associated with a package, do
> dpkg -L leafnode

Excellent!

> If you want to find the package a particular file is in
> dpkg -S filepattern

OK, just tried this with the java package that I installed, tells me it's
not installed, and when I try to do a 'dpkg -r j2re1.3_1.3.0-2_i386.deb
I'm told I can't use the file name, but must use the package. Hmm seems
like a catch 22...

> And for every package there will be docs under, e.g.,
> /usr/share/doc/leafnode
> In particular README.Debian will talk about Debian tweaks to the
> package (for example, the one for leafnode gives the location of the
> config file in the first line).
>
> Have fun.

Thank-you for the information. I'm having fun with Debian - I come from
Caldera and Mandrake, in those distros the configuration is too easy.
I still have to configure my sound card, scsi zip drive, scsi scanner and
fix a broken JRE that won't allow my Mozilla to run. I'm enjoying doing this,
as I'm learning new skills. Once I've mastered tweaking Debian, I'll give
slackware a shot. <G> I think Debian will keep me busy for sometime however.

I'm sure I'll be asking the list for help from time to time.

> P.S. I've been using leafnode and have noticed it's sometimes quite
> slow; that is, the througput of message retrieval is way under even my
> modem's abilities.  I'm curious if anyone else sees this.

I would try one of the unofficial versions - in monitoring the leafnode
list from time to time, the people that have used them find them
quicker. The locations for them can be found on the leafnode webpage.
I run mine by crontab, so I don't notice how long it takes to do
anything once the initial all group list is done.

--
SDA
ICQ 35454764