Re: Building a single user Internet terminal / Done!

On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 01:39:52PM +0800, Crispin Wellington wrote:

> > which contains a file 'SecurityPolicy'. That seems to be applicable,
> > only quite complex! Can I accomplish the required by making changes
> > here?

> Do you have /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config?

> Read my post somewhere else in this thread re: Xwrapper.config

Ah thanks, that slipped through. Now it works just as I wanted!

Resuming:

- I replaced the symlink for 'xdm' in /etc/rc2 with a symlink to a new
  script called /etc/init.d/kiosk.

- That script runs /usr/local/bin/startkiosk as user kiosk

- /usr/local/bin/startkiosk only does 'startx'

- in /home/kiosk/.Xsession Galeon is started fullscreen, with a few
  tabs that contain some useful bookmarks.

- for the time it also starts icewm-experimental because that seems
  to work better with some popups. I will experiment a little more
  later.

I am quite pleased with this setup and would like to thank all that have
helped me out with it!

Funny thing is this: I cannot establish a telnet session with the kiosk
machine. After I enter my login name I get:

  System bootup in progress - please wait

and than fails. Should be because of the changes in the rc2? Is there a
way around this? Not too much of a problem (walking 3 stairs basically)
but if there is a simple solution...

Thanks again!

--
  Erik van der Meulen <e.van.der.meulen@avondel.nl>