Re: Building a single user Internet terminal

on Sun, Apr 07, 2002, Erik van der Meulen (e.van.der.meulen@avondel.nl) wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 08:44:06PM +0800, Crispin Wellington wrote:
>
> > Have a script that starts X for a certain user and begins galeon. Run
> > this as a respawn process under /etc/inittab. Make a certain runlevel be
> > kiosk mode (the default). Make other run levels the admin mode (normal
> > logins etc).
>
> Thanks a lot for your prompt answer! It sounds pretty much like what I
> want. I have tried to follow your advice and came across one or two
> little issues.
>
> > /etc/inittab line something like
>
> > ki:2:respawn:su -c /usr/local/bin/runkiosk kioskuser
>
> I have replaced the line:
>
>   l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2
>
> in the inittab with your suggestion, in the hope that would do the
> required.
>
> > /usr/local/bin/runkiosk could basically just startx, and let kioskusers
> > .Xsession file do the rest.
>
> Also I have made this, only containing 'startx'.
> Now if I reboot, I see no X, but a message repeating:
>
>   X: user not authorised to run the X server, aborting.

Change the first two lines of /etc/X11/Xserver to read:

    /usr/bin/X11/XF86_Mach64
    Anybody

Unprivileged users typically can't run X unless they're standing at the
console.

Alternatively, start X as root, but su to an unprivileged user in the
XSession script.

> That would be brilliant. But again (sorry about my ignorance) I do not
> really now how to get there. I seem to recall that the default install
> (Woody and upgrade to Sid right after) does not have ext3 support.
> Suppose a kernel rebuild would be required? Also, I have two partitions,
> large root and a small boot (and swap also). I think I have read
> sometime that /boot needed to be ext2... Further, is there a command for
> converting an existing ext2 -> 3, or do I need to make a new
> installation.

You need an ext3-capable kernel.   Any current 2.4.x kernel will do.

To convert /dev/hda1 to ext3:

    $ tune2fs -j /dev/hda1

...and modify the filesystem type in /etc/fstab.  If you specify
'ext3,ext2' there, then you can mount the filesystem as either.

/boot can be ext3.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>           http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
   Lemma: Necessity is the Mother of Invention.