Recommend backup program?

Can anyone recommend a backup program to me that I could use to do backups in the following way. I see that there are several programs available in Woody for backup, but I'm not sure they have what I want. I haven't checked freshmeat yet. I'd be fine compiling from source, although I imagine most backup programs available for Linux are scripts.

What I'd like to have is an incremental backup that will produce files that are stored on an ISO9660 CD-RW. I'd like to do the backup regularly (from cron) to a hard drive filesystem, and when I get around to it, then the files will be copied to a CD-RW. It would need to make sure that I can always fit the files on a CD (no single archive segment bigger than 650 MB).

What I would want to do is create a filesystem and store a .tar.bz2 file on it (or some other archive format) rather than tarring straight to the CD. That way I could mount it under any OS and get my files back.

It would be nice to manage having a given backup stored on duplicate CD-RW, but to be able to eventually re-use a CD-RW (perhaps after an occasional full backup) so that I don't have too many pile up.

Even better if it keeps a database of what's on all the CD's, so I can find a file off a backup without searching through my pile of CD's.

Help me be a more responsible home office sysadmin. Is there anything to do what I want?

Mike
crawford@goingware.com
http://www.goingware.com/