Re: installing oracle 9i

[ sorry, had to steal this quote since my quick fingers deleted the
original ]

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 07:58:57PM -0600, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
> * Jason Majors (jason@kwiqsilver.org) spake thusly:
> > Where I work we need to use oracle 9i (I'm pushing for mySQL conversion) on
> > Linux boxes to communicate with oracle 8i on a Solaris box.
> > Our DBA tried to do the 9i install (when he looked for a "d drive" I got
> > scared), and keeps having problems that he won't share with the rest of us.
>
> So, you don't want to get anywhere close to the DBA (this is exactly
> what'll happen to you if you get Orrible to install -- Jason set it up,
> let Jason fix $PROBLEM).
>
> > He talked to oracle support and they said that since debian doesn't have a
> > bourne shell,

Uh, what?  bash is a bourne shell (and then some).  ash is probably a
more "pure" bourne shell; it's not clear to me whether it strives more
for bourne or POSIX compliance.  Who told you debian didn't have a
bourne shell?  I'd request that they reach between their legs, grasp
their neck firmly and pull hard ... they just _might_ pull their head
out of their ass.

--
Nathan Norman - Micromuse Ltd.  mailto:nnorman@micromuse.com
Gil-galad was an Elven-king.            |  The Fellowship