Re: installing oracle 9i

Jason Majors wrote:

> Where I work we need to use oracle 9i (I'm pushing for mySQL conversion) on
> Linux boxes to communicate with oracle 8i on a Solaris box.
> Our DBA tried to do the 9i install (when he looked for a "d drive" I got
> scared), and keeps having problems that he won't share with the rest of us.
> He talked to oracle support and they said that since debian doesn't have a
> bourne shell, it won't install and that they can't help, because they only
> support Redhat and SuSE.
>
> Has anybody here installed oracle successfully on Debian? If so can you give
> me details of the special steps you had to take?
>
> Or if there's a better lib that will allow C++ programs on a Debian box
> access an oracle server on a solaris box using Pro/C and whatever protocol
> oracle uses for select/update/insert/etc. commands from C code, can
> somebody give me some tips on that?
> Unfortunately, I'm database illiterate, so I don't know any more about our
> needs than what I said here.

  I kinda like otl http://www.geocities.com/skuchin/otl/home.htm (for
C++)

  you still need oracle libraries installed (not sure what else). I
haven't used it much so I don't know how stable it is but as far as I
can tell it is a *LOT* better than ProC (which is a sorry piece of
excuse for a db library/preprocessor).

	erik