Re: installing oracle 9i

Nathan E Norman writes:
> Uh, what?  bash is a bourne shell (and then some).  ash is probably a
> more "pure" bourne shell; it's not clear to me whether it strives more
> for bourne or POSIX compliance.

Ash strives mightily for POSIX compliance.  Bourne compliance is
impossible: there is no published standard and successive versions have
been mutually incompatible.

> Who told you debian didn't have a bourne shell?

What the Oracle people mean by a Bourne shell is one that supports whatever
non-standard features of the Solaris sh that they have chosen to use in
their scripts.  If they gave a damn about portability they would have used
only POSIX features.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)