Re: installing oracle 9i

* Jason Majors (jason@kwiqsilver.org) spake thusly:
> Where I work we need to use oracle 9i (I'm pushing for mySQL conversion) on
> Linux boxes to communicate with oracle 8i on a Solaris box.
> Our DBA tried to do the 9i install (when he looked for a "d drive" I got
> scared), and keeps having problems that he won't share with the rest of us.

So, you don't want to get anywhere close to the DBA (this is exactly
what'll happen to you if you get Orrible to install -- Jason set it up,
let Jason fix $PROBLEM).

> He talked to oracle support and they said that since debian doesn't have a
> bourne shell,

You don't want to get anywhere near Orrible tech. support, either
(see above).

...it won't install and that they can't help, because they only
> support Redhat and SuSE.

Save yourself the pain, set up winders in VMware and run Orrible
there.

> Has anybody here installed oracle successfully on Debian? If so can you give
> me details of the special steps you had to take?

There was a message about Oracle a while ago, search the archives.

> Or if there's a better lib that will allow C++ programs on a Debian box
> access an oracle server on a solaris box using Pro/C and whatever protocol
> oracle uses for select/update/insert/etc. commands from C code, can
> somebody give me some tips on that?

Here's a tip: don't. Tell management about this exciting new technology
called Java and JDBC instead.

Pro/C segfaults on syntax errors in your C code. TF Pro/C M on
8.1.5/Solaris has link commands that have no relation to what's
actually installed -- we spent several hours extracting all required
library names from the twisty maze of Pro/C sample Makefiles. Don't
get me started on Orrible...

Dima
--
I have not been able to think of any way of describing Perl to [person]
"Hello, blind man?  This is color."                                      -- DPM