Re: Re[2]: copy protected audio cds with linux ?

Of course the thing that just baffles my mind during this whole mp3
nonsense is the fact that an mp3 is _not_ an exact digital copy of the
original. A 128kbit encoded mp3 is a very lossy compression, even higher
bitrates still aren't as pristine as the original. Same goes with ogg
files, though I think they sound better at equal compressions as wavs.
For songs I care about, I want the original wavs (read original album),
so I can fiddle with the type of compression I want to use to achive the
best quality level for my particular purpose. If I want to listen to a
massive collection of songs via the DVD player in the living room, I'll
use a different compression level than if I want to listen to a massive
collection of songs on my computer speakers.

I can't believe the lossy compression argument _never_ came up during
the whole Napster debaucle. The other side kept talking about how
downloading the songs was no different than listening to them off the
CD. That couldn't be more wrong. Either the Napster lawyers really
sucked ass, or there were other agendas at work.

Of course, anything further is just entering the world of paranoid
speculation ... but it still has to make ya wonder.

Sean

--

GPG Public Key available: http://sean.gutenpress.org/sean.asc