dri causing hard lockups?

Trying to use the DRI stuff is causing X to lockup.  In fact, the
whole system is almost locked up---the keyboard and mouse are
impotent, and the monitor doesn't show anything.  Fortunately, I can
do a remote login, but the only way to make the system useable is to
do a reboot (killing all X processes doesn't help).

Anyway, I was hoping that maybe someone on this list has had a similar
problem.  My setup is as follows:

	- Abit KT7 (via kt133) mobo
	- Matrox Millenium g450 32 MB RAM agp video card
	- Promise ATA/100 pci ide controller (one ide drive attached)
	- Tekram dc390u2w SCSI controller (attached are two scsi disks,
	  one cd burner, one dvd rom)
	- SB Live!
	- Intel etherexpress 100 pci ethernet card

I'm running Debian potato, but I'm using the XFree86 4.1.0 binaries at
people.debian.org/~cpbotha/.

After installing those unofficial debs, I downloaded and installed the
Matrox g400 series drivers from matrox's website (the filename is
"mgadrivers-2.0.tar.gz").  This installed the following files:

	/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv.o (replacing the default)
	/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/mga_drv_hal.o
	/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/mga_dri.so

I'm not sure if that last one is in the right location.

I'm using a custom-compiled 2.4.18 kernel with agpgart and mga drivers
compiled as modules.  If I start X without loading those modules, I
get this line in /var/log/XFree86.0.log:

(==) MGA(0): Direct rendering disabled

...but X appears to be stable (i.e. hasn't locked up on me).

If I modprobe those two modules before starting X, everthing appears
okay... until something comes along and locks up X.  Once this "just
happened"---I was in the middle of doing some work and X locked up.
The other time was today when I got home from work, the computer was
locked up (so I don't know what caused it.  My guess is one of the 3d
modules in my self-compiled xscreensaver).

Some of the pertinant lines from my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 are as
follows:

	# ...
    Load       "glx"
	Load	   "dri"
	# ...
	Section "DRI"
		Mode 0666
	EndSection
	# ...
	Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "matrox"
    	Driver      "mga"
		Option		"AGPMode" "2"
		Option		"DPMS"
	EndSection
	# ...

Well, if anyone has been down this road before, I'd be happy to hear
your experiences!

Thanks
Matt

--
Matt Garman, matt@raw-sewage.net
``I ain't never seen no whiskey, the blues made my sloppy drunk!''