Re: Re[2]: copy protected audio cds with linux ?

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 07:43:30PM -0500, Sean wrote:
> Of course the thing that just baffles my mind during this whole mp3
> nonsense is the fact that an mp3 is _not_ an exact digital copy of the
> original. A 128kbit encoded mp3 is a very lossy compression, even higher
> bitrates still aren't as pristine as the original. Same goes with ogg
> files, though I think they sound better at equal compressions as wavs.
> For songs I care about, I want the original wavs (read original album),
Have you tried FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)?  As the name suggests, it's
completely lossless, GPL programs, LGPL libraries, and seems to give about 33%
compression.  IIRC, it's available from flac.sf.net.

-rob

--
I did not vote for the Australian government.