Re: copy protected audio cds with linux ?

On 25 Mar 2002, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> I believe these copy-protection schemes work by introducing a lot of
> errors on the CD.  Audio CD players skip them but computers treat the CD
> as faulty.
>
> If this were in Britain I would take the CD back to the shop as unfit
> for the purpose for which it was sold and/or complain to Trading
> Standards.  I should have thought that you could do something similar in
> Germany, since the quality of the CD has been deliberately downgraded.

Hi Oliver, hi all,

In that case, get ready to start making a lot of trips to the record
store.

>From what I understand, Sony Music is, this week, starting to release all
new albums with their key2audio protection (http://www.key2audio.com/).
It seems the first disc to be crippled is the Celine Dion release, "A New
Day Has Come."  Dion is, far and away, Sony's biggest selling artist, so
it's pretty safe to conclude that the experiments are over, and Sony is
going full speed ahead.

According to the site, "...key2audio does not introduce artificial
(C2) errors into the music, thereby preserving the title's original sound
quality...A hidden signature applied to the disc during glass master
manufacturing prevents playback on PC/MAC and thereby prevents copying or
track ripping.  The high reliability is due to the fact that the audio
part fully complies with the Red Book standard - not a single bit is
changed in the audio data stream - i.e.: no uncorrectable errors are used
to protect the audio data."

Apparently, the discs are clearly labeled along the lines of "This CD
does not play on PC/MAC."

If the claims of Red Book compliance are true, and the CD's are clearly
labelled as not playing on PC's, how can we justify returning them?

--
Dave Steinberg
dave@taro.homeip.net