Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: High powered Debian advocacy?

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 18:32:37 -0600, you wrote:

>[ Note: I read the list.  I don't need nor do I want copies of mail
>sent to the list.  In this case you sent a copy to me with a different
>message id than what went to the list; something is broken at your
>end.  Please respect my Mail-Followup-To: header.  Thanks ]

Sorry, I am just getting used to the fact that I must copy and paste
the return address when I reply.

>You say apt is "flawed."  Fine, open a bug.  Quit using apt, download
>packages yourself, and install them using dpkg.

No, I just want to say what appears to me to be something that
could be improved in the presence of people who can do something
about it.  I hear such people read this list.

>You say (in another email) that you are a programmer and you think
>this should be an obvious solution.

No, if it was obvious, it would already be done.

>Fine, fire up $EDITOR and code
>away, submit patches, start your own distro, whatever.  If that's
>beyond you, try to understand _why_ things work the way they do.

Yes, I understand, it makes programming simpler to put files
all in one place.

>Read
>the FHS.  Read "Essential UNIX Administration" (Frisch).  As a system
>administrator I would be appalled by a system that works the way you
>seem to want it to work.  As a programmer I see nothing but a
>minefield for little to no gain in usability.

I am not asking for random placement.  I am asking to decide where
some things will be put.  If I do that, I will know where they are.

>Finally, I note that you have never posted your partitioning setup or
>the output of df and du to back up your argument that apt is flawed.
>Therefore I believe that I and others on the list will instead
>conclude that your system administration is flawed.

I don't suppose df or du would convince you of much.  But I suspect my
comments have been heard.  If the powers decide my comments have virtue,
it could be that a change will be made.

Gleason