Re: Re: Re: Re: High powered Debian advocacy?

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 11:41:12PM -0800, Noah Sombrero wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 21:27:21 -0600, you wrote:
>

> >> Hmm, yes I can move those directories and replace them with links or
> >> just mount them to appropriate dirs under /usr.  Did not think of that.
> >> But still, apt has this little flaw it seems to me.
> >
> >apt is flawed because your /usr/partition is too small and you did not
> >think to use symlinks?  That's hilarious.
>
> Apt is flawed because allowance is not made for the fact that hard drives
> fill up.
>
> I can use symlinks, I can copy /usr to a new hd and mount the new hd as
> /usr.  But these things could be unnecessary if a small amount of lee way
> were built into the system.

[ Note: I read the list.  I don't need nor do I want copies of mail
sent to the list.  In this case you sent a copy to me with a different
message id than what went to the list; something is broken at your
end.  Please respect my Mail-Followup-To: header.  Thanks ]

I must be completely missing your point.

You say apt is "flawed."  Fine, open a bug.  Quit using apt, download
packages yourself, and install them using dpkg.  Oh wait, dpkg
installs according to the FHS as well.  File a bug against dpkg too;
better quit using that as well.  You can use ar to unpack your debs in
the meantime (and now that you're not using a package manager you can
install whatever you want however you want).

What _would satisfy you?  A system that said "Hi, I noticed your /usr
is pretty full so I'm going to delete some stuff"?  Or should it say
"Hi, /usr is full so I'll just install stuff into
/{home,var,opt,mnt,whatever}" even though that's totally against
accepted standards, will make life for users of this machine
difficult, and will be almost impossible to maintain?  IOW, your
"small amount of leeway" (it's one word) is no small thing at all.

You say (in another email) that you are a programmer and you think
this should be an obvious solution.  Fine, fire up $EDITOR and code
away, submit patches, start your own distro, whatever.  If that's
beyond you, try to understand _why_ things work the way they do.  Read
the FHS.  Read "Essential UNIX Administration" (Frisch).  As a system
administrator I would be appalled by a system that works the way you
seem to want it to work.  As a programmer I see nothing but a
minefield for little to no gain in usability.

Finally, I note that you have never posted your partitioning setup or
the output of df and du to back up your argument that apt is flawed.
Therefore I believe that I and others on the list will instead
conclude that your system administration is flawed.

--
Nathan Norman - Micromuse Ltd.  mailto:nnorman@micromuse.com
Gil-galad was an Elven-king.            |  The Fellowship