Re: Problems with CD-ROM and mail server

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 11:16:41PM +0000, Karl E. Jorgensen wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 04:19:58PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:

> > > You probably need to add yourself to the 'cdrom' group (note: Group
> > > member ship is only picked up on login, so you will probably have to log
> > > out and in again).
> >
> > Technically this is incorrect; man newgrp(1), man sg(1).  No logout
> > necessary.
>
> I stand (=sit) corrected. Technically. Unfortunately, this doesn't
> change the gid of already-running processes. So if the cd player is
> launched from e.g.  gnome-panel, this would inherit groups from
> gnome-panel. (same thing goes for other X-launcher-type-things I
> presume)

Good point - the panel-app problem does in fact need a logout from the
current X-Session.  However, if you run the command from an xterm (or
the console) newgrp and/or sg can save you a lot of time.

--
Nathan Norman - Micromuse Ltd.  mailto:nnorman@micromuse.com
Gil-galad was an Elven-king.            |  The Fellowship