Debian and PDAs.

Okay, well the taking on of a potentially huge project has kind of clued
me in to the fact that I would probably benefit hugely from a
laptop-type aparatus. Problem is (just trust me on this one), carrying
around a laptop is less than optimal.  Having an additional shoulder bag
is at this point not really an option, and I could never, ever, ever
leave the thing sitting somewhere, so I'd be basically chained to it if
bringing it somewhere...

So the thought occurred to me that I could get a PDA with a stow-away
keyoard and basically use that in laptop capacity, as a few of my
friends are doing.

So here arises my prolem: probably the best deal for me, OS aside, would
be a Handspring model PDA because they are highly expandable moreso than
Palm PDAs, and if I'm basically utilizing this as a laptop, well, I'm
sure there is some kind of module/upgrade thing that I'd want down the
line which I wouldn't be able to find for a Palm but the Handspring
people have tons of different little gadgets you can get--which is at
once evil and yet cool.  So, in an ideal world, I would get a
Handspring.

Of course, in this ideal world, I'd also have to be using Windows,
because all of the synching and other packages I am seeing on Debian's
servers seem to ME to be specific for Palms.  As I am VERY new to this
whole idea, I thought that before assuming one or the other way I ought
to consult with some people who are more likely than I to know this
answer. I.E.: you guys.

So-- does anyone here have a PDA and if so what kind and how has your
luck been as far as being able to synch it and whatnot?

I've looked at the Linux-specific PDAs but they're either too built up
(with lots of graphicy-related stuff) or too bare bones. So as much as
I'd in theory like to have an open-source PDA or whatnot, well, it's not
really going to happen at the moment.

Mainly I want a highly portable bit of electronics capable of creating
wordprocessing documents,, possibly with the ability to check e-mail,
which I wouldn't have to synch by rebooting into Windows all the time.

Any help appreciated!
Erin