Re: Which window-manager for a kiosk?

on Wed, Mar 20, 2002, Danie Roux (droux@tuks.co.za) wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:25:50PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Galeon, in full screen tabbed mode, with *no* window manager, would be
> > my first choice.
>
> You need a window manager for Galeon fullscreen. If you get to a login
> screen, input moves to it. After you've logged in, you loose keyboard
> input to galeon.

Sorry?

/me switches to a console

    $ startx $( which galeon ) -- 1>/dev/null 2>&1 &

/me diddles with galeon for a while, including several login/auth sites
with popups...

...works.

If you're assuming authentication at the kiosk, you can handle that
through an X display manager (xdm, gdm, wdm, etc.).  But Galeon runs
fine naked.

Personally, I'd probably pick fvwm2 for this task -- you want a
powerful, configurable, window manager.  With fvwm2 you've got the
options to set window decorations, etc., so you're not completely
bare-ass naked, but you cna also configure virtually every part of the
environment so that the user is effectively locked into their sandbox.

Peace.