Re: OT: Re: inappropriate racist and other offensive material

On Tue, 2002-03-19 at 17:24, Tom Cook wrote:
> "Michael P. Soulier" wrote:
> >
> > On 19/03/02 Casper Labuschagne did speaketh:
> >
> > > May I point at the Linux community (for the greater part at least) is
> > > racist, bigotted and prejudiced per se.  To illustrate my point observe the
> > > reaction of extreme disgust and prejudice eminating from the average Linux
> > > user when confronted by the following terminology:
> > >
> > > Windows; Microsoft; Bill Gates; Windows 95; Microsoft Office; Exchange;
> > > Microsoft Internet Information Server; Windows XP; DOS; OS/2; .NET; Visual

OS/2 ????  That is one of _IBM_'s great products (even though the
1.x series started out jointly written with MSFT).

Too bad the the OS/2 & linux system paradigms are so different.
Presentation Manager _rocks_.  Shows how powerful an Object
Environment can be...

> > > Basic ...
> >
> >     Not quite Casper. Bigotry is a hatred of a race of people (interesting
> > that we're not just all "human", bigotry is built into the language it would
> > seem) because they are different. Hating someone or something because it's
> > different is moronic. We dislike Microsoft because they suck, not because
> > they're different. ;-)
>
> Well, they are different, but our dislike is based on the merits of the
> software, not some blind belief that we are superior.

>From what I've heard, there is a larger genetic difference among
species of monkeys than there are between the human races.

Contrast that with how different Linux and NT (and OS/2) are.
OS/2 and NT have similar concepts, yet OS/2 is great (see above)
and NT sucks.  (That, and the fact that MSFT is an unrepentant
criminal monopolist.)

_That_ is the reason so many people have strong reactions against
MSFT...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
| "(Women are) like compilers.  They take simple statements  |
|  and make them into big productions."                      |
|     Pitr Dubovitch                                         |