Re: PDF

curtis, 2002-Mar-19 14:43 -0800:
> What is the best tool for editing and creating pdf files?

I've been wondering how to do this myself for awhile, but haven't
had the "need" yet to really investigate.  So, I haven't done
this before.  However, a quick look around found these:

In Debian Woody:
----------------
pstoedit
converter.  pstoedit converts Postscript and PDF files to various
editable vector graphic formats including tgif, xfig, PDF graphics,
gnuplot format, idraw, MetaPost, GNU Metafile, PIC, Kontour and
flattened PostScript.

python-reportlab
Python ReportLab is a library that lets you directly create
documents in Adobe's Portable Document Format (PDF) using the
Python programming language.

ReportLab library creates PDF based on graphics commands without
intervening steps. It's therefore extremely fast, and flexible
(since you're using a full-blown programming language).

Sample use cases are:
 * Dynamic PDF generation on the web
 * High-volume corporate reporting and database
 * publishing
 * As embeddable print engine for other
 * applications, including a 'report language' so that users can
   customize their own reports.
 * As 'build system' for complex
 * documents with charts, tables and text such as management
   accounts, statistical reports and scientific papers
 * from XML to PDF in one step

So, I figure you could use pstoedit convert a pdf, and create
documents in XML and use python to create a pdf from it.

I'm sure someone else that's doing this very thing will chime
in...I hope!   :-)

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer