Installing Debian

Hello everyone

I just read the Debian installation manual. And most of it went over my head. I have never used a Linux OS before, and I don't know THAT much about computers, however I am learning. That's the reason i want Debian so I can learn even more, well that and it's free and never crashes *grrs@microsoft for all those times he lost parts of his school work just last weekened cause it continually crashed*

So, I am asking if someone wouldn't mind giving me EASY to understand instructions, in "easy english" as someone I know always says.

I'm going to type up what I want my computer to eventually be able to do, and then I'll type up the LIMITED amount of the instructions I have to follow that I actually understood.

Thankyou for everyone who is willing to help.
I am about to read ANOTHER installation manual from www.linuxdocs.com (or something like that URL, I have it bookmarked at my house).

Want My computer To Be Able To Do Wish List:

* I want it to have a dual boot system with Debian and Windows XP.
* I want Windows XP to be the default OS so all my parents have to do to make the computer work is hit the power button and wait for it to load up (they know even less about computers then me!!!). * I want to be able to go onto the internet in both Windows XP and Debian (I have cable so I'm hooked onto the net 24/7, except when I turn off my computer or Telstra is down) * I want to be able to access files from my Windows partition when I'm in Linux, and vice verca (my understanding is I must partition my harddrive to have a dual boot system). * I want to be able to access files from my other computer which is networked to the one I am going to run Debian on (I only have the 2 computer's networked, the other computer currently runs Windows 98 and has a very small harddrive of 6gig!!!!!!). * I want to be able to run Debian on my computer that runs Windows 98, but only have it installed on my other Computer which runs Windows XP, so no memory is taken up on my Windows 98 computer (I don't know if this is possible, from what I read in the installation manual it is possible, however this would just be a benefit, if it is MUCH too difficult to do then I won't set it up like this, I might in the future when I know more about computers). * I don't want to loose ANYTHING that is on my computer, without the need of backing it up or else I'm a dead man (I will be backing it up regardless, but that is for worst case scenario). * I also want to be able to run writing programs, databases, etc, e-mail programs, internet browser programs and coding programs (such as C++, perl, my understanding is they come free with Debian. I only know JavaScript, HTML and Cascading Style Sheets, I dont count the last 2 as languages, but I want to learn more). * Create mutiple users (again this isn't neccessary, just in case someone in my family ever wants to use Debian which I doubt) * Set a password that you have to type in to login (I am not sure about this though because if for some reason my dad or mum go into Debian and don't know the password, will this cause the entire thing to not work, or will it just prevent them from access to certain folders, or will it just restart the computer using Windows XP? again this isn't neccessary, but this is a wish list)

*thinks* I think that's all I want my computer to do. I know it's a lot but most of those things (albeit the Debian specific things) it can already do in Windows XP.

NOW here's my understanding of how to get all of those things done, unfortunately this will be shorter then my wish list.

Installing Debian Steps:

* Defrag the computer (so everything gets all grouped together instead of spread out, this is neccessary so nothing is lost when u partition the harddrive).

* Partition the harddrive into 3 seperate parts (1 for Windows XP and the bulk of the memory, 1 for the Debian OS and 1 for the files. I am not sure where programs, such as Debians version of Word, would go in all this, I also don't know what programs to use that are free and work in Windows XP).

* Download Debian (I am not sure if there is an easy to download copy of Debian for newbies like me or not. If there isn't I have absolutely no idea which files to download or how to set them up. I don't want to have to buy the CDs).

* Install Debian through a medium of your choice (now is the really confusing part, I can do it via a CD of the files I burn into it, which sounds the hardest. Or I can do it via a floppy, which they kept telling me not to do. Or I can do it from the harddrive, I don't know where I would put it, whether in the Windows XP partition or one of the Debian partitions. Or through my other computer that runs Windows 98. I also have no idea how I would open up the debian installation program).

* Create the dual boot system at some stage somehow with a delay of 3 seconds before it starts up Windows XP so I can make it run Debian instead. (Someone in a linux IRC told me about this).

Well that's my entire understanding of the Installation process, there are GIGANTIC holes throughout the entire thing I know. THAT'S why I'm writing this e-mail.

I would appreciate it a lot if someone was able to give me easy to understand instructions. or a website with easier instructions if no-one can be bothered.

I understand this is a BIG ask of everyone, and I do appreciate it (especially if your still reading this) and thank everyone very much for any help they provide.

John Lynch