Re: networking problems withe Linksys router

At 03:36 AM 3/8/02, Chris Jenks wrote:
At 02:38 PM 3/7/02, you wrote:

Sorry, I forgot that bit.  No, there was no need.  I had the rest of the
network at home set up before the cable installer guy got here, so the
Linksys MAC address is the only address they have from me.

At first I thought it was a problem with the DHCP server, because I
wasn't getting an IP address on the Linux side, and I knew the setup was
right, because it works with the wireless network here at work.
However, I tried setting a fixed IP address and that didn't work,
either, so I was pretty sure that it was a firmware issue with the
router.

Supposing it's not the router's firmware, do you have a DHCP client set
up for Linux, or are / were you using static IP addresses?  Is the
default gateway set correctly?  I suppose the output of 'ifconfig -a'
would be useful, too.

I'm using the router for a DHCP server, and I know it's working right
because the laptop (running a Progeny/woody/potato hybrid) has no
problems pulling it's address. When I took the router out of the network
for testing, I had to use static on both computers. Currently I have the
desktop set up for static routing, but when I was using DHCP it was
failing as well.
'
forgot to include this:
<output from ifconfig -a>

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:35:7B:3E
          inet addr:192.168.15.105  Bcast:192.168.15.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0xec00
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0