Re: networking problems withe Linksys router [Solved]

At 07:21 PM 3/1/02, Chris Jenks wrote:
I've looked on google, and in the archives, but I'm not having much luck finding what is causing my problem.

I've got a dual boot box, windows 98 and Debian 2.2r3, connecting to my cable modem via a linksys router. It's a Linksys Wireless access point + cable/dsl router with 4 port switch. I'm using the MAC address cloning feature of the router (with the wireless part turned off unless I'm using my laptop from somewhere else in my house). I'm also using the router for a DHCP server.

Before I put the router in I had no problem connecting to my Comcast cable modem from either windows, or linux and even had woody installed. After putting the router in, I can no longer access the anywhere on the LAN or the Internet from the Linux. When in windows (like right now) I have no problem.

I reinstalled 2.2r3 tonight thinking that I had messed up something when changing DHCP around (after I put the router in) but when I used the option to let the networking options be configured by the network using, DHCP or BootP, it failed. I set a static ip address on the box, but was unable to ping out from the box my laptop or the linksys router.

I'm curious if the problem is being caused by the MAC address cloning. Has anyone else had problems like this when using the linksys routers?

I finally got some real time to sit down and play with this problem today. I turned off MAC Address cloning, with no change in Linux. After reinstalling potato a third time, and installing progeny, and still not having it work, I decided to try a different port on the built in switch. Port 4 is a split port, it's shared with the uplink port (which has nothing in it). Anyway, after about 3/4 hour of trying to get two more inches of cable, I was able to move the cable over to port 1, and bounced the interface (ifconfig down/up). It started working. I moved the cable back to port 4, and it died again.

Chris
Sometimes it's the dead chicken that fixes the problem. Yes it was that hard to get that extra cable length.