Re: The quest for rodent power

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 06:09:29PM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Carel Fellinger <cfelling@iae.nl> writes:
> Yes, both configs the ones that work for X and the ones that don't
> have been posted in the last 2 hours or so.  Maybe  a little longer by
> now.

saw them.  There still is this delay in the list I'm not used too,
something wrong at the debian mailing list host? Makes these
discussion a little harder:(

> One further point here:
>
> Concerning the validity of the hardware itself.  Where this debian
> install now resides, there was a redhat 7.1 basic system (no X)
> installed.
>
> Using all the same hardware, that system came up with a working mouse
> as soon as the install was complete.  This is not to compare OS's or
> say who's better or any of that bunk.  But it should indicate the
> hardware isn't at fault here.

The fact that you got it working with an `X-only' setup goes a long
way reassuring me that the hardware is okee too.

A stupid idea maybe, but could you try to build an older version of gpm?
e.g. the version that worked from RedHat 7.1?  Or the version from potato?
IIRC there has been some frantic hacking going on lately to improve on the
ps/2 mouse handling of gpm.  Maybe, just maybe, it introduced some failure
code for your specific mouse.

--
groetjes, carel