Re: The quest for rodent power

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 07:45:16PM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Edited gpm.conf:
>
> device=/dev/psaux
> responsiveness=
> repeat_type=raw
> type=ps2
> append=""
> sample_rate=

This looks okee.
You're sure `ps2' is the right protocol? When your mous has a scroll
wheel, you might try `imps2', though I think `ps2' should work.

> >> How can I tell beyond doubt which device the mouse is on.
>
> Is there a difinitive answer to that... some canonical way to know for
> sure where the mouse is connected?  Is that likely to be a source of
> problems here?

One way is to do `startx &>/tmp/startx-log' and look into that file.
X will tell what it did, so it should be deducable from there.

The other way is as root to use `lsof /dev/psaux /dev/gpmdata'.
Be sure to be in X when you do this, as X has the file open only
when it's running *and* it's console is active.
[[sorry this looks like gibbish, but I don't know how to say it better,
  you'le have to switch to the console X is using and do the test there]]

> Edited version now is:
>
>    Section "InputDevice"
>    	   Identifier	        "Configured Mouse"
>    	   Driver		"mouse"
>    	   Option		"CorePointer"
>    	   Option		"Device"		"/dev/gpmdata"
>    	   Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
>    	   Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
>    	   Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
>    EndSection

If you have an ZAxisMapping section then you should have a scroll wheel
mouse and use as protocol "IMPS/2, otherwise comment it out.

> No X running, and made the edits above.  Rebooted and still have no
> mouse in text console, and now X crashes magnificiently with `startx'

why reboot?
kill X and use `/etc/inet.d/gpm restart' to restart gpm.

--
groetjes, carel