Re: What shows what an uninstalled package does?

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 11:12:31PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Dave" == Dave Sherohman <esper@sherohman.org> writes:
>
>  Dave> On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 05:38:48PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  >> Incidentally, if you happen to use dselect (I use dselect with
>  >> apt as a backend), looking through /var/lib/dpkg/available is quite
>  >> informative (especially when I am unsure of what I am looking for and
>  >> just use the regexp search in emacs or less).
>
>  Dave> What does that give you that `apt-cache search` doesn't?
>
> 	ability to browse nearby (and possibly unrelated) packages,
>  ability to hit a + to select the package, go on to the next
>  search. apt-cache is nice, but dselect is a one stop shopping
>  experience.

Sorry, I was unclear...  I was wondering what advantages
grepping/emacsing/lessing /var/lib/dpkg/available has over apt-cache.
dselect definitely has some nice features, no argument there.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss