dpkg -S [was Re: Terminfo and emacs]

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 11:07:10AM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Is just the ticket I think but my trials with it only get an error
> message:
>
> A usage statement and "Bash --search command not found" with the
> command line indicated there:
> dpkg {-S|--search} pattern # search package from installed filename
>
> My actual command line attempts were:
> dpkg {-S|--search} /bin/more
> dpkg {-S|--search} more
>
> And with single quotes around the curley brackets:
> dpkg '{-S|--search}' /bin/more
>
> Maybe it wants a packagename
> But seems unlikely since it starts by saying:
>      To find the package to which a particular file belongs:
>
> dpkg {-S|--search} emacs21
> Still no useful output.
>
> Its pretty clear that I'm using it wrong but I did try to follow the
> example listed there.  What is expected at `pattern'

{foo|bar} means foo OR bar

~>dpkg -S emacs21

will work, as will

~>dpkg --search emacs21

or

~>dpkg -S /usr/bin/emacs21
emacs21: /usr/bin/emacs21

which means that /usr/bin/emacs21 belongs to package emacs21

--
Note that I use Debian version 3.0
Linux emac140 2.4.17 #1 sön feb 10 20:21:22 CET 2002 i686 unknown

Hans Ekbrand