Re: Avoid booting direct to X.. I want my starx back

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 04:23:24PM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:

> > Well, I got X working in my fresh woody install, but there are a few
> > rinkles.
> > 1) I want to boot to console mode and call x with startx.
>
> Whee, got lots of help on that one.  And a couple easy fixes.
> Thank you all.
>
> Now I can startx but now I get put into a kde session.  I'd sooner set
> my hair on fire, and I'm mostly bald.
>
> I guess I should uninstall all the kde stuff but I seem to recall
> there being a problem with some of them like the libs or base, that
> allow some other things to work.
>
> All I really want is to use gnome/sawfish if in X.  When I say
> `startx' thats what I want to start.  I vaguely remember there being
> some place where you put a desktop choice and then its settled.
>
> Does debian have something like that too?

One (of several) ways to do this is (as root):

update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

You will be presented with a list of alternatives that are currently
installed on your system. Pick one.

If the one you want isn't there, install it and run update-
alternatives again.

This will set the system default. Individual users can override this
by writing a .xsession file.

-- Mark