Re: Printing question

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 10:58:46PM +1300, Alan & Kerry Shrimpton wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I know most people have their Linux box connected to the net.  I have my
| windows machine.
|
| I know most people probably have their printers connected to their Linux
| machine.  I have it connected to my windows machine.

| 1.  How the heck do I see my windows machine on my Linux machine?

What do you know about IP networking?  What sort of (networking)
hardware do you have set up?

| 2.  How do I get my Linux machine to print using my printer hardware
| connected to my windows machine?
|
| No doubt I need to install some packages but what ones?

samba , cupsys , cupsys-client

Once you've installed them, point a web browser at
"http://localhost:631"; and point-n-click to add your printer.  You
will want to choose the 'smb' protocol with a URI like
"smb://<win_machines_smb_name>/<printer_name>".  Also be sure and
enable "File and Print Sharing" in Windows' network config dialog and
enable sharing of the printer in the printer's properties dialog.

-D

--

Consider what God has done:
    Who can straighten what He has made crooked?