Re: Retry.. no more crybaby bs

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 09:38:09PM -0800, Harry Putnam wrote:
> [...]
> I managed to get fired up here by allowing only the basic install from
> the cds and going to ftp from there, with a working network, all
> things become possible..  Downloading and installing now from
> `stable'.
>
> Not sure I really understand what is happening though.  Apparently
> apt-get is getting some stuff over ftp. Over 200mb was downloaded, but
> still askes me to install various of the cds at different points.  And
> gets stuff from there too.

"stable" -> potato
"testing" -> woody
"unstable" -> sid

You have earlier stated that you wanted woody, not potato, and since
you have a good network connection, you will want to track "woody"
(which right now is "testing") from the net, rather than your CDs,
which are probably already outdated.

The Debian package-mangagement system is configured via files in
/etc/apt/. The system gets information on available packages from the
the file /etc/apt/sources.list. Try and uncomment the lines currently
active in that file and replace with the following two lines:

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ woody main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US woody/non-US main contrib non-free

Modify the hostname according to your location, I use this one in
Northern Europe. If you only want Free Software, remove "non-free".

For more information on configuring apt, try man sources.list, or read
the documentation in /usr/share/doc/apt/guide.html/index.html

In addition,

apt-cache search foo

is good way of searching for packages that can do foo.

apt-cache show [package name]

gives you a summarized information on a certain package.

Good Luck!