Re: 486 SX (masquerading DSL connection)

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 10:16:47PM +0200, Game Wizard wrote:
| umm, perhaps i am wrong as i don't know what kind of switch do u have but
| isn't switch's purphose is to divide the network into subnets ??!

A router would do that.  A switch is a link-layer device.  It is the
same as a hub, but instead of repeating the incoming data on all ports
it uses the MAC address to connect only the machines that want the
data.

My switch is a D-Link DSS8+ (8-ports, $70 or $80 US).  AFAIK I can't
do anything with it aside from plugging cables in.

It sounds like that $800 3Com switch that John has will separate
subnets, though.

| while you think of that, using dhcp with configuration as you have is ok.
| your isp will not get the broadcast becouse as i said before, 10.x.x.x net
| IS NOT ROUTABLE!!! broadcasts from it, cannot pass the DSL modem, it stops
| there.

When a DHCP request is made (DHCPDISCOVER, I believe), the machine
*has no IP yet*.  This is partially why it broadcasts to all other
connected hosts (the other part is it doesn't know who to ask for one
so it asks everyone).  If it has no IP yet, how is the DSL modem
supposed to know whether or not to route the request?  How is the DSL
modem supposed to differentiate between my gateway broadcasting
DHCPDISCOVER and some other (internal) box broadcasting DHCPDISCOVER?
Certianly if the switch or the DSL modem gave me the option, I could
have it check the MAC address the ethernet frame originates from and
only pass through those frames, but I don't think my hardware is that
advanced.

| and secondly why don't you add a reservation on the dhcpd to reserve
| the server ip be the same all the time ?!!?

The server does have a static IP on it's internal NIC.  (it can't
serve itself via DHCP ;-))

| think about it too. :)

:-)

-D

--

Be sure of this:  The wicked will not go unpunished,
but those who are righteous will go free.