Re: 486 SX (masquerading DSL connection)

On 2002.02.14 17:35:55 +0100 John Cichy wrote:
On Thursday 14 February 2002 11:27, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> > The
> > reason I don't have it masquerading the DSL connection is I don't want
> > to buy a second ISA NIC.
>
> If your DSL is anything like mine, you don't have to. I have all my
> machines and my modem on the same hub, and use pptp to connect my
> ancient 486 laptop to the 'net, and then use masquerading, all over the
> same localnetwork. I have no idea if this works with pppoe, since that's
> not how my adsl system is supposed to work.

I have a question on this setup. Which machine is doing the the masq? It
seems to me that if all the machines are connected to the same hub as the
modem, arn't all machines 'exposed' to the internet through the dsl
modem? What is your default route? The reason for the second nic (my
understanding) is that all machines must connect through a single masq
machine, so all traffic flows to nic_1 gets masq'd then goes to the internet
through nic_2.

The 486 that connects to the internet also does the masquearading. All traffic flow to eth0, and gets masq'd, but then goes to the internet through ppp0, which is in fact a ppp connection using pptp (which talks to the modem via the very same eth0). To the rest of the network the modem is just 10.0.0.138. Only the 486 is 'exposed'. I hope this clears things up. If not, I'll explain more.

Matijs.