Re: 486 SX (masquerading DSL connection)

On Thursday 14 February 2002 11:27, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> > I have potato on a 486SX, 25MHz, 300MB hard drive, 8MB RAM.  It tends
> > to drag because it swaps a lot, but otherwise is fully functional.  I
> > had it masquerading the dial-up connection with no problems.  The
> > reason I don't have it masquerading the DSL connection is I don't want
> > to buy a second ISA NIC.  (I actually have a spare USB NIC, but no USB
> > for ISA-based machines)
>
> If your DSL is anything like mine, you don't have to. I have all my
> machines and my modem on the same hub, and use pptp to connect my ancient
> 486 laptop to the 'net, and then use masquerading, all over the same local
> network. I have no idea if this works with pppoe, since that's not how my
> adsl system is supposed to work.

I have a question on this setup. Which machine is doing the the masq? It
seems to me that if all the machines are connected to the same hub as the
modem, arn't all machines 'exposed' to the internet through the dsl modem?
What is your default route? The reason for the second nic (my understanding)
is that all machines must connect through a single masq machine, so all
traffic flows to nic_1 gets masq'd then goes to the internet through nic_2.

I am not disputing what you are doing, but your statement has thrown my
understanding for a 'loop'.

John