Re: 486 SX (masquerading DSL connection)

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 07:31:08PM +0100, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:

I too thought that putting the DSL modem on the hub (actually a switch
in my case) wasn't the Right Way.

| The 486 that connects to the internet also does the masquearading. All
| traffic flow to eth0, and gets masq'd, but then goes to the internet
| through ppp0, which is in fact a ppp connection using pptp (which talks to
| the modem via the very same eth0). To the rest of the network the modem is
| just 10.0.0.138. Only the 486 is 'exposed'. I hope this clears things up.

Ahh, you have a "separate" PPP interface.

My service is simply an ethernet card with a cable (crossover, IIRC)
connected to the DSL modem.  I use DHCP to get an IP and it's golden.
(I used to have to "submit" a web form to "login" to my ISP (which I
automated with a not-very-robust script) but they removed that
annoyance!)

I don't think it would work very well if any other machine on the
subnet uses DHCP to obtain an address because then my "server" _and_
the ISP would both get the broadcast request, but I only pay for 1 IP.
It would probably work if there was a way to make the switch transfer
data to the DSL modem _only_ from the gateway machine (and then only
some of it!).

-D

--

The heart is deceitful above all things
    and beyond cure.

I the Lord search the heart
    and examine the mind,
to reward a man according to his conduct,
    according to what his deeds deserve.

        Jeremiah 17:9-10