Re: ext3 not recognized?

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 05:34:56PM -0800, Andrew Agno wrote:
| dman writes:
|  > What is your root fs there?  If either
|  >     a)  root fs is not ext3
|  > or
|  >     b)  ext3 module is in your initrd and loaded by the kernel during
|  >         boot
|  >
|  > you can have it as a module.  (this is a general statement; perhaps
|  > there is something special regarding ext3 that makes a difference).
|
| Well, the help seemed to imply that if you have your root fs as ext3
| (which I do:
| % rdev
| /dev/hdb2 /
| % tune2fs -l /dev/hdb2
| Filesystem features:      has_journal filetype needs_recovery sparse_super
| ), then you needed to have it compiled into the kernel:
|   [ from .../linux/Documentation/Configure.help ]
|   module will be called ext3.o.  Be aware however that the file system
|   of your root partition (the one containing the directory /) cannot
|   be compiled as a module, and so this may be dangerous.
|
| I'm beginning to suspect that it will work if ext2 is also compiled as
| a module, and both are put into the initrd image.  I'll have to do
| some testing tomorrow to see if this is true.  Anybody have any
| experiences either way?

In /boot/config-2.4.17-k7 (from the debian package) :

CONFIG_EXT2_FS=m
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=m

This works because the bootloader (grub in my case) reads the initrd
from disk and sticks it in RAM.  The initrd contains the modules, and
the kernel can read them from RAM.  The kernel then loads the module
from the ramdisk and proceeds to mount the root fs from the hard disk.

The 'help' documentation is correct, barring the use of an initrd.

-D

--

The righteous hate what is false,
but the wicked bring shame and disgrace.