Re: Color control in Mutt & Gnome terminal

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 05:24:50PM -0800, Paul E Condon wrote:
| On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 05:02:12PM -0700, Jason Majors wrote:
| > On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 03:48:09PM -0800, Paul E Condon scribbled...
| > > I am starting to learn to use real Debian email. I have mutt, fetchmail, and
| > > exim working. But I am having trouble reading my email because I have diffi-
| > > culty reading deep blue characters on a black background or other pairings that
| > > are pre-configured options. How / Where can I configure background/foreground
| > > pairings that work for my eyes?
| > Add this to your ~/.muttrc (or ~/.mutt/muttrc) and play with the settings.
| > #color normal white default
| > color hdrdefault red default    # Things like to, date, etc.
| > color quoted brightblue default # ??
| > color signature red default
| > color indicator red white
| > color error brightred default
| > color status brightwhite blue
| > color tree magenta default  # the thread tree in the index menu
| > color tilde magenta default
| > color message brightcyan default
| > color markers brightcyan default
| > color attachment brightmagenta default
| > color search default green  # how to hilite search patterns in the pager
| >
| > color header brightred default ^(From|Subject):
| > color body magenta default "(ftp|http)://[^ ]+" # point out URLs
| > color body magenta default [-a-z_0-9.]+@[-a-z_0-9.]+  # e-mail addresses
| > color underline brightgreen default
|
| Thanks.
|
| But I don't see "bright" as part of a color name on the man page.
| What are the color names that work? Is there a way to display an exhaustive
| list of foreground/background combinations? Or are there two many colors for
| that to be realistic?

http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-3.html#color

   foreground and background can be one of the following:

     * white
     * black
     * green
     * magenta
     * blue
     * cyan
     * yellow
     * red
     * default
     * colorx

   foreground can optionally be prefixed with the keyword bright to
   make the foreground color boldfaced (e.g., brightred).

My preference is to use vim for the pager.  Specifically 'view'
(defaults to readonly) with the 'less.vim' script to make the
keybindings behave like less (until you press 'v', then you can
copy-n-paste like usual in vim).

set pager='view -X -c "so $HOME/util/script/less.vim"'

(less.vim comes from the upstream vim distribution; it might be in the
vim-extra package or something)

I have syntax highlighting enabled in vim with the following
parameters :

highlight Normal guibg=black guifg=grey90
set background=dark     " makes syntax highlighing lighter
syntax on

My terminal (console or gnome-terminal) has a black background.  gvim
does too (with the above settings).

HTH,
-D

--

"GUIs normally make it simple to accomplish simple actions and
impossible to accomplish complex actions."