ext3 not recognized?

I'm having a problem with recent installs of Debian.  My install
process goes like this:

Install a base potato dist.
Upgrade to testing.

After doing this, I change the root partition to ext3, and install a
2.4 kernel (2.4.17).  When I reboot, the very first mount of / mounts
it as ext2:

kernel: VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.

% cat /proc/mounts
tells me that I have ext2,
% cat /proc/filesystems
has ext3 listed after ext2
% cat /etc/mtab
says ext3, as does fstab, mount, df -T

I'm inclined to think that it is not mounted as ext3--any way to tell
without doing a hard reset? In order to get it mounted as ext3, I've
had to compile my own kernel with ext3 builtin.  However, on another
installation, the kernels supplied with apt work fine--it says root
gets mounted as ext3.

I've tried adding /etc/filesystems, adding /etc/filesystems and
/etc/fstab to the initrd image, adding the rootfstype=ext3 to the
kernel boot params (which fails with something about
request_module[ext3]).  The ext3 module is definitely in the initrd
image.  I've added ext3 to the modules file in /etc/mkinitrd.

Still, nothing.  Am I missing something?

Andrew.