Re: ext3 not recognized?

 >  > Please describe what you did to "change the root partition to ext3"
 >  > Did you make the filesystems/ext3 option a module or installed in the
 >  > kernel?  It can't be a module!
 >
 > Sure it can.  On one computer I have, I'm running 2.4.17-686 from

Okay, and reading the help for CONFIG_EXT3_FS, I see that it says it
can't.  So my next question is, why does it work on 2.4.17-686?  Are
there both modules and compiled in ext3 drivers?  The config file that
came with it (in the package kernel-headers-2.4.17-686) has:
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=m
and later,
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=m

So now I'm a bit puzzled...