Re: ext3 not recognized?

Andrew Agno(agno@AI.SRI.COM) is reported to have said:
>  > Andrew Agno(agno@AI.SRI.COM) is reported to have said:
>  > > I'm having a problem with recent installs of Debian.  My install
>  > > process goes like this:
>  > >
>  > > Install a base potato dist.
>  > > Upgrade to testing.
>  > >
>  > > After doing this, I change the root partition to ext3, and install a
>  > > 2.4 kernel (2.4.17).
>  > Please describe what you did to "change the root partition to ext3"
>  > Did you make the filesystems/ext3 option a module or installed in the
>  > kernel?  It can't be a module!
>
> Sure it can.  On one computer I have, I'm running 2.4.17-686 from
> testing.  Both ext2 and ext3 are modules and everything works fine.

Well the last time I made ext2 a module, maybe 7-8 years ago, I had a
dead box.  On bootup there are no modules so my boot and / dirs were
not available so I couldn't boot.  I must have missed something along
the way.  I didn't realize that modules were loaded at bootup now.(?)

Just checked the howto's and I was right.

From
/usr/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/Modules.gz
4. Recompiling the Kernel for Modules

The kernel can be reconfigured to use modules for everything other
than the
file system mounted as root (in most cases, this is the ext2 file
system).

So it seems you have a setup that people would be very interested in.
--
Computers make very fast, very accurate mistakes.