Re: Sound (ES1371), Power down, --MARK--

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 10:16:52AM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> Thus spake Marvin Massih:
> > My third problem is that "--MARK--" appears contineously in
> > "/var/log/messages". A friend of mine used to have the same problem
> > with his SuSE, but there the message was printed on the console. In
> > debian-user-de, I was told that this is just for me to see when
> > twenty minutes have passed, but however, I want to get rid of it!
>
> MARK is just printed in the log to let you know the daemon is up and
> running - I don't think you can get rid of it without some serious
> hacking.

See the syslogd(8) man page. If syslogd is started with the '-m 0'
option, it will never print the '-- MARK --'.

Personally I prefer leaving it there - it's been useful on the odd
occasion when I came back to a crashed machine and wanted to find out
when it fell over.