RE: --MARK-- (was "Sound [ES1371], Power down...")

-----Original Message-----
From: [mailto:steve@cc888998-a.clmbs1.pa.home.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 10:17 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Sound (ES1371), Power down, --MARK--

>> My third problem is that "--MARK--" appears contineously
>> in "/var/log/messages". A friend of mine used to have the
>> same problem with his SuSE, but there the message was printed
>> on the console. In debian-user-de, I was told that this is
>> just for me to see when twenty minutes have passed, but
>> however, I want to get rid of it!

> MARK is just printed in the log to let you know the daemon is
> up and running - I don't think you can get rid of it without
> some serious hacking.  If you see nothing else, and it's not
> printed to your screen, it's safe to just ignore it.  Sorry.

Actually, it's easy; just 'man sysklogd' and you'll see...

-m interval
       The syslogd logs a mark timestamp  regularly.   The
       default interval between two -- MARK -- lines is 20
       minutes.  This can be  changed  with  this  option.
       Setting the interval to zero turns it off entirely.

I have mine set to an even hour, which takes up less space
in the log but lets me know things are still running okay
(which is useful if you're watching it on TTY12 or what have
you).

HTH,

Jeff Bonner
Royal Oak, Michigan USA