Sound (ES1371), Power down, --MARK--

Hi!

My computer has sound chip on board, which is identified as "Ensoniq ES1371" by both Windows Me and Debian Woody.
Under Windows and under Mandrake 8.0 (as well as RedHat 7.0) everything worked perfectly.
Here are soe detils:

The sound driver (ES1371) is installed into the kernel (now 4.2.17).
OSS configured as a module (only OSS itself, no additional drivers).
ALSA is installed.

The files /dev/dsp and /dev/audio exist.

"cat some_sound_file > /dev/dsp", resp.
"cat other_sound_file > /dev/audio"

doesn't create a sound, just the cursor (on the console as root) moves one line further. Without Ctrl+C the prompt does not appear again. The program just does nothing.

"dmesg | less" shows that the kernel driver finds the sound chip; it
says, the IRQ with another device. "lspci"
shows an unknown multimedia device under the listed ID.

That should be my (unused) internal modem; this would match the configuration under Windows.

"mpg321" says, independent of which driver I choose, it cannot open the device.

"lsmod" shows "ide-scsi" (for my CD writer) and "sound".

By the way, would be great, if somebody could tell me about the differences
between the different sound libraries / -programs (OSS,
ALSA, libasound, esd, etc...).

My other problem is that the PC does not power off by using "shutdown -h now".

"Power down" is printed and I hear a .... well, "clicking" sound, but
nothing happens.

APM is compiled.

My third problem is that "--MARK--" appears contineously in "/var/log/messages".
A friend of mine used to have the same problem with his SuSE, but there the message was printed on the console.
In debian-user-de, I was told that this is just for me to see when twenty minutes have passed, but however, I want to get rid of it!

I hope you can help me.

Thanks a lot in advance,

-Marvin

P.S.:

I upgraded my kernel to version 2.4.17 the day before yesterday (the errors didn't care :), ALSA was already installed (I installed my (first time this distribution) Debian system on Monday).