Re: Sound (ES1371), Power down, --MARK--

Thus spake Marvin Massih:
> Hi!
>
> My computer has sound chip on board, which is identified as "Ensoniq ES1371" by both Windows Me and Debian Woody.
> Under Windows and under Mandrake 8.0 (as well as RedHat 7.0) everything worked perfectly.
> Here are soe detils:
>
> The sound driver (ES1371) is installed into the kernel (now 4.2.17).
> OSS configured as a module (only OSS itself, no additional drivers).
> ALSA is installed.
>
> The files /dev/dsp and /dev/audio exist.
>
> "cat some_sound_file > /dev/dsp", resp.
> "cat other_sound_file > /dev/audio"
>
> doesn't create a sound, just the cursor (on the console as root) moves one line further. Without Ctrl+C the prompt does not appear again. The program just does nothing.
>
> "dmesg | less" shows that the kernel driver finds the sound chip; it
> says, the IRQ with another device. "lspci"
> shows an unknown multimedia device under the listed ID.
>
> That should be my (unused) internal modem; this would match the configuration under Windows.
>
> "mpg321" says, independent of which driver I choose, it cannot open the device.
>
> "lsmod" shows "ide-scsi" (for my CD writer) and "sound".
>
> By the way, would be great, if somebody could tell me about the differences
> between the different sound libraries / -programs (OSS,
> ALSA, libasound, esd, etc...).
OSS is the older of the two kernel sound layers, but provides pretty
good functionality for most sound cards and is slightly easier IMHO.
Try compiling without ALSA, and see if it works.  Have you tried these
as root?  If it works there, it is a permission problem (is your user
in group audio?)  esd, and I think, libasound, are the userspace tools
that deal with kernel layer for sound.  Remember that when one data stream
is writing to a device (cat some.wav > /dev/dsp) no other data stream
can access it, because it is already in use.  esd takes all the sound
streams and bundles them before sending them off to /dev/dsp, so that
multiple applications can make noise at the same time.  I assume
ALSA's userspace program does much the same thing, although I haven't
messed with it.  Take my explanantion with a rather hefty grain of
salt - I am certainly no programmer, this is just what I understand
from reading online when I was getting my sound working, and I could
certainly be misundertanding/misremembering.
> My other problem is that the PC does not power off by using "shutdown -h now".
>
> "Power down" is printed and I hear a .... well, "clicking" sound, but
> nothing happens.
>
> APM is compiled.
APM may have to be compiled as a module, and you may have to put an
append="apm=on" in lilo.conf for this to work properly - there was a
thread about this, oh 3-4 months ago?  Can't remember now.
> My third problem is that "--MARK--" appears contineously in "/var/log/messages".
> A friend of mine used to have the same problem with his SuSE, but there the message was printed on the console.
> In debian-user-de, I was told that this is just for me to see when twenty minutes have passed, but however, I want to get rid of it!
MARK is just printed in the log to let you know the daemon is up and
running - I don't think you can get rid of it without some serious
hacking.  If you see nothing else, and it's not printed to your
screen, it's safe to just ignore it.  Sorry.
Steve
--
Alimony and bribes will engage a large share of your wealth.