Re: Debian Lists, USENET & Spam

also sprach nori heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> [2002.01.08.0235 +0100]:
> > you are doing apt-get upgrade and it tries to upgrade to woody.
>
> no, i'm not.  i'm doing apt-get upDATE and then apt-get install ...
> it's not like it tries to remove the old gimp, and then install the
> new one, or like the old gimp would prevent spamasssassin from working

the problem is that the libc in potato is incompatible with the packages
from testing. so you install spamassassin, which depends on a version of
perl in woody, which depends on libc in woody. so now you need to
install woodies libc (among other similar things), and some packages
conflict because they can't deal with higher versions. do the thing in
dselect and explore what causes what (dselect shows you what depends on
what, and what causes which package to be included/deleted).

> > if you want to do that, do apt-get -u dist-upgrade, but if you
> > don't, remove the testing lines from sources.list again and do an
> > apt-get update.
>
> if i remove the testing lines, i won't be able to get spamassassin
> through apt-get, since it's only available for testing and unstable,
> the point which led to this thread.  should i just conclude that i am
> unable to get spamassassin through apt-get while i am running potato?

yes and no. restore your system to potato, and tomorrow i'll compile
spamassassin for potato just for you. *if* it cooperates with potato's
perl and other modules... i'll keep you posted...

> , right?  if not, how do i get it?  if yes, the output is still as
> nasty as before (well, not *quite* as, since i removed a few of the
> bad lines, but still the same idea).

i'll have a look at it, not at 5:52 am though ;)

> > well, did you apt-get update all the way through?
>
> yes.  religiously.

good girl!

> > kernels? why kernels? releases... the kernel is *absoultely*
> > independent. the kernel is Linux, the rest is Debian. woody is Debian
> > and can be run with any kernel, 1.x, 2.0, 2.2, and 2.4...
>
> all right, my confusion.  i mean releases.  what are different
> kernels, then?

the kernel is the core operating system, the hardware abstraction layer,
the device drivers, and other fancy stuff. it is provided by the
kernel-image-2.4.9+orange package that i compiled for you. i'll go and
make you a 2.4.17 while i am at it...

> > i'll show you how if and only if you are going to become a responsible
> > debian maintainer!
>
> :-P cross my heart.  i'd love a tutorial.

read [1] and [2] and [3] since you have so much spare time. then we'll
go from there.

  1. http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
  2. http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
  3. http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/

"oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive."
                                                        -- shakespeare